Paying for College
Need money for college?
COMPLETE THE FAFSA (FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID) FORM TO APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID FOR COLLEGE, CAREER SCHOOL, OR GRADUATE SCHOOL
Things needed to complete FAFSA:
- Social Security Number. Be sure that it is correct!
- Records of income, such as income earned from work and business, child support paid or received and any other untaxed income. If you have them, refer to the W-2 Forms or Federal Income Tax Return IRS 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.
- Information about assets, such as savings, certificates of deposit, stock options, bonds, 529 plans and other college savings programs; and investment real estate, business and farm.
- Driver’s license number, if you have one.
- Dates of birth, include the month, day and year.
- Alien Registration Number, if you (student) are not a U.S. citizen.
- An FSA ID to sign electronically. (This can be created beforehand at fsaid.ed.gov, or at the time of application.)
- List of colleges you are considering.
Beware of false FAFSA sites, especially if they want to charge you. FAFSA is FREE! The actual FAFSA website is https://fafsa.ed.gov/
Students AND guardians MUST have a Federal Student Aid ID and PIN prior to completing the FAFSA. Get your FSA ID here. Guardians only need to complete this process ONCE, so if you obtained a FSA ID with a previous student, you don't need to do it again. Just remember your ID and PIN.